Thursday 26 September 2019

My book review of 'Touch Wood'.



Here's my review of 'Touch Wood' by Duncan Hamilton. I gave it the full 5*.
A rip-roaring tale of motor racing from back when men were men, driving on the edge at crazy speeds, and being killed was almost inevitable.
Living in Ireland, I was shocked I had never heard of Duncan Hamilton - he was Irish and a phenomenally successful racing driver with many wins, including the Le Mans 24-Hours race. 'Touch Wood' is a fascinating memoir filled with incredible scrapes and fantastic tales of daring-do, some so outrageous as to be almost unbelievable. But it's all true.
The races, close shaves and tragedies are told in such a casual conversational manner as to be both exhilarating and shocking at the same time. This book really brings home how brave - and perhaps foolhardy - racers were back before seat belts, fire suits, crash helmets and car safety cells were commonplace for race cars travelling at 200 mph.
'Touch Wood' is a great read, even if you are not a motor racing fan.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KEW8I76

No comments:

Post a Comment